Thursday, February 14, 2008

Under the sea... Under the sea...

We just got the film developed from our underwater cameras that we took while on our trip to Hawaii. The quality isn't the greatest... not only were these pictures taken with a disposable camera, but I had to scan them onto my computer as well. However, I am very glad that we had these cameras with us while we were snorkeling. On the big island, we encountered lots and lots of pretty fish. These angel fish were my favorite. Chad and I also took pictures underwater while we were snorkeling with the dolphins. Looking at the pictures, I can't believe how close we were!! I wish we could've touched them, but our guide was very adamant (did I spell that right?) that it is not respectful to touch them and our oils in our hands could harm these wild dolphins. Instead, our tour followed these dolphin pods in the boat until they rested. Then our guide, "China Mike" would yell for us to quickly get on our snorkel masks and fins and get in the water. As soon as we got in and ducked under, we could usually hear the dolphin's calls and see them swimming by us. They would eventually swim out of sight and China would whistle for us to get back in the boat, were we would find another pod and do it all over again. The swim lasted 4 hours and we had four different opportunities to get in the water. It was well worth the money, beacause as you can see, we saw alot of dolphin! This is Chad swimming right above the dolphins. Hee hee, just kidding! It is our guide, "China Mike". He was so knowledgeable about dolphins, and really knew what he was doing. A few other people on the tour kept asking him about the possibility of seeing sharks on our swim, and he shook it off saying that he swims with them all the time too, like it wasn't a big deal!! Thankfully, we had a very peaceful dive and no shark sightings. I had expected to see a lot of coral and fish on our dolphin swim. But, for the most part the bottom was very bare and I didn't see a single animal other than the dolphin and the turtle above! Weird, huh!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe that you snorkeled in such deep water! I knew that you were out in the ocean...but looking at your pictures I realize you were really OUT in the ocean! I am deeply impressed by your courage and your swimming skills!

Sidni Nielson said...

Brings back memories, When I went scubba diving in Mexcio. Talk about feeling claustrophobic. how did you do?

Becki said...

Wow. That really looks amazing! Great pics!

Kevin & Lindsay said...

Your pictures are so cool. I love taking pictures underwater! I found your blog through nate and sidni's. I love keeping up on you family, since we don't see each other that much. I just started a blog you'll have to check it out at kevinlindsay.blogspot.com