Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Grocery Smarts

Last night was my first trip into the grocery store to see how much money I could save. I attended a free class a few weeks back and learned how it all works. I was very anxious to try it out. Me and 2 of my buddies went in together, learning the ropes and giving each other moral support. I have to say that grocery shopping is waaayyy more fun with friends than with kids.

This is all the food that I came back with. Sorry it is dark, but it was almost 1 a.m. when I arrived home and was taking the picture, and at that time I didn't care about quality. :)

I spent - $95.44

and

I saved - $116.60!

The first thing I learned from this experience was how overpriced food is, I mean really... I could have spent $212.04 for that food on my counter! Second, is how easy it is to save money if you get organized and buy what's on sale. Thirdly, how darn fun it is to see those coupons deduct money from the total. And lastly, how much I still have to work at this. My goal is to get my grocery bill down to $50 a week. So, I am looking forward to even better numbers to share down the road, (I hope!)

As a side note, I was not the only one who saved money in our late grocery run last night. My friend Sara spent $62.85 and saved $64.06 and my friend Sheila spent $56.92 and saved $91.06. All in all, we spent $215.21 and we saved $271.72! Not too bad for first timers. By the way, if you are interesting in learning more about grocery smarts go to www.sheshopssmart.blogspot.com
and you can go from there.

5 comments:

Holli and Billy said...

That is so cool! I really have been wanting to learn how to be a better shopper. I am interested on this class you took!

Becki said...

Awesome Sar! I'm glad to hear success stories cause it helps to keep me motivated. Hopefully I'll have a post on my blog soon about how much $$ I saved. I just need to get organized first...

Tyler & Nicole said...

Way to go Sara!!! I need to learn how to do this, I'm horrible and saving money. I just buy when I need stuff...never wait for the sale. Very bad of me!

The Emery's said...

Isn't it great? I've been doing Grocery Smarts for almost 2 years now. I love it! It has become such a game to me. I get so excited!

athomson said...

Beaner, you never cease to amaze me. What a good little homemaker you have become. You make me proud!