Friday, April 24, 2009

How life has changed since...

we brought home our little pug named Po. Even though I had a puppy a few years back and got too overwhelmed and sold her, I really thought I knew what I was doing last month when I was looking for a new one. Uh, surprise!! :) As cute as he is, he is a little handful as most puppies are. And to be honest, I have entertained the thought of selling him a few times, but as of now he is still in my home and making our life interesting. Here are just a few examples:1. My favorite red flats are now chew toys (cry) along with any blankets, throw pillows, kids' toys or anything else that is left on the floor.
2. Thanks to Po's little bark, we have a lot more noise than we used to. He loves to play with the kids and chase them around. He especially loves Emmi; it must be her size. If Po isn't following me he is following her.
3. Naturally, we have a lot of these little clumps dotting our backyard that I get to pick up. Not only that, but we have a few big holes in our fence that allows him to escape. I have spent more time chasing him around our neighbor's yards than I really care to. For that, he deserves a little time-out in his room, which brings me to #4 ...4. I have a little captive who has taken over my laundry room. There are 2 little eyes that are always peeking, looking for the kids to free him. Actually, Po has been doing so well with his house training that he is rarely put in there anymore except for nighttime and when we leave home.5. Unfortunately, part of having a puppy who likes to play is occasionally getting nipped. Or in Emmi's case, getting the feet of your footie jammies constantly chewed on, while your feet are still in them. This is a face we see quite a bit, can you tell? Her new favorite word is "Owwie".Given all of that, the kids, myself, and even Chad are still loving this little guy. And all of the excitement that a little dog can bring.

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

Those were some cute shoes! You are a brave woman.

Laura said...

you are so good. i won't let my kiddos (including jarom) have a pet. i'm not very fond of animals.
but i love the last pic. that dog looks like he's got y'all wrapped around your fingers! too cute.

athomson said...

Beaner,
That picture of Po is priceless, your narrative is hysterical. Hang in there with him. Puppies will be puppies. Remember Bella, the devil dog???

Jaime said...

So cute! I hope you keep him forever. They do chew on things, but I love the companionship of our pug! It gets a lot better when he's out of the puppy stage! Cooper ruined our carpet, we'd come home and find he'd gotten into the garbage, he scratched up our molding around our door, and that's just to name a few. I won't mention how he got into my brother-in-laws Pepcid AC and had interesting things coming out at both ends. Yeah. Too fun. He doesn't do that anymore. Oh the joy of having a puppy!It gets better! :)

Holli and Billy said...

I don't know how you can train a puppy with 3 kids around! I think I would pull my hair out! Good luck. He sure is adorable!

Tori said...

Oh my gosh. We are so in the same boat. Copper is 5 months old and your post is IDENTICAL to our situation. He was neutered last month and I have seen a huge improvement. We are getting ready to pour a concrete patio in our backyard to eliminate what dirt we have left. I hate when it rains and he comes in all muddy! I started shaking a Coke can of pennies at him when he does something naughty (jumps on the couch, steals food out of Hayden's hands) and I can't believe how well it works. But I will admit that I thought about giving him away so many times, but I hope we are nearing the end of all of this. I do love him, but sometimes I think "What was I thinking??? Three kids and a puppy?? I was crazy!!!". Good luck!!! Keep us posted!

Becki said...

Oh...little Po! He sure does have a cute face and it's a good thing with all the trouble he's been in :) I understand your dilemma. As much as Adam and I both love dogs, I don't know if we'll ever get one because of the things you describe. Although I do think it is good for kids to have a pet and learn responsibility (ie: feeding, caring for something) so I think we'll end up with one at some point too. I'd say hang in there a little longer and then make a decision. And GOOD LUCK!