Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Surgery and a little sickness...

Monday morning I took Keaton to the hospital for surgery. I wasn't going to tell why, just so I don't embarrass him later on, but I would be very curious if I were reading this, so I will. The poor little guy had to have a second circumcision because the one that was done when he was a newborn didn't look complete. Chad and I have debated for a year on whether or not we should let it go and see if it would get better as he grew older and if we should put him through the surgery, but we both think it would be better to do it while he is still young and get it done right. I didn't offer too much information about what we were doing at the hospital and my little sweetheart didn't ask. He was such a good sport and the surgery went perfectly. He got to go home right afterwards and was walking around and acting great. The last couple of days, I have been giving him Tylenol and Motrin for the pain, but every now and then he'll tell me "my pee-pee hurts." Yesterday I got a kick of him walking around with his legs spread quite far apart and almost bow-legged. I guess he has some healing to do. So far, I am glad we got it done for him. (The bill hasn't come yet!)

Now, to the sickness. The night before Keek's surgery, Emmi woke up with a fever and threw up all over. So while I took Keaton to the hospital, I asked Chad to take Emmi to the doctor because I wanted to make sure that she was okay before Chad took off on a business trip. Unfortunately, the doctor didn't like what he saw and sent Chad and Emmi to the hospital too! My doctor said she was "dry as a bone" and she needed to be tested. Well, they got to the hospital about 10:00, just as Keaton was taken into surgery, and Emmi and I ended up staying at the hospital until 8:30 p.m. I have to say how frustrated I am that they kept Emmi that long. Before going into the doctor Monday morning, she had only threw up the once. He said she was "dry as a bone" but had tears when they poked her and a wet diaper when they examined her! That doesn't equal dehydration to me! So there she sat with monitors stuck to her and an IV in her foot when all she wanted to do was stand up in her crib and crawl on the floor. By time Keek got out of surgery and I stayed with Emmi, they hadn't offered her any food. It was about 1:30 and she hadn't eaten all day. Finally they gave her some juice and cracker and the girl chowed down!! Sorry, I could go on and on, but to make a long story shorter, she acted just fine other than a fever and a runny nose and I was anxious to get back home. The test results came back that she had a stomach virus, which nothing could be done for anyway. The last 2 days as we have been home, we have been able to keep her fever down, her nose wiped and life is good! But, what an adventure! Two kids in the hospital isn't fun!

8 comments:

athomson said...

After having worked in a hospital for 18 years I can honestly tell you it is truly a place to avoid! Even though it costs more than a 5 star resort, you don't have the "creature comforts" that you would expect. We are lucky to have such good hospitals in the valley and even though I felt helpless as a "Damma" miles away I knew that my grandchildren were in good hands. I have to be honest though, I do like Primary Children's the best! Don't my grandchildren even look "dapper" in their hospital jammies?
Take care of my babies Beaner,
momma

Holli and Billy said...

Holy Cow, Sara! I am glad everyone is back on the mend. Poor kiddies!

Brad and Jenn said...

Oh my!! I'm so sorry Sara! Your little family has really been through it! I hope all is well now. Good luck and don't forget to take care of yourself too :)
Jenn (Price) Auernig

Brad and Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Poor little guys! I'm so glad that they're doing better. You deserve a medal for dealing with all that hospital politics...

Kevin & Lindsay said...

CRAZY CRAZY life with kids...i am glad everyone is okay..Primary's is the best, i would agree with your mom but i am a bit bias since i work there:) Hope all is well!

Becki said...

What a marathon day! Glad everything went well and I hope this week has been better. Take care!

Chelsea said...

Sara, it's Chelsea your old roommate. I found your blog through Candace. I couldn't believe this post because we had a nightmare experience with our baby when he got circumcised. The doctor totally botched it up and cut him so bad. They told us he was probably a hemopheliac because they couldn't get him to quit bleeding, when really what happened was they made a huge mistake. Crazy! We've had to take him to a urologist and they were able to fix some of it without surgery, but I'm afraid later on down the road we'll have to do the same thing. Needless to say, I switched pediatricians!!!