Friday, October 15, 2010

Emmi's Big Owie!

 Last week we had a catastrophe at our house.  Me and Chad are still not quite sure how it happened, but one minute the kids were downstairs playing and the next we heard a big crash and a scream.  I knew there was blood when I heard Sam saying, "Oh no, oh no!"  I took off running downstairs and there was Emmi with blood pouring out of her mouth.  After a minute of cleaning it was clear that she had a huge cut in her lip and needed to see a Dr. right away.  Since it was almost feeding time for the baby and bed time for the boys, we decided that Chad would be the best one to take her in.  Lucky for us our Dr.'s office is open until 9 p.m.  As her mother I felt sick though.  I was mad at myself for not preventing this from happening, sick that she was in pain and would have to undergo stitches, sick that she might have a huge scar on her lip and sick that I wouldn't be there to hold her.   

About an hour later I received a call from the Dr. office, where the doctor told me that the procedure went well.  He said that he was worried that because she was so young she would not hold still enough that he could stitch the lip up right so it would not be crooked.  Somehow she was very brave and held exceptionally still, and he did not have to sedate her.  She received about 7 stitches in all.

The funniest part of this story would have to be due to Chad.  One of the first things the doctor said to me on the phone was, "Well, your husband is a bit woozy from the procedure.  I gave him some juice and he is lying down, so it might be a few minutes before he makes it home."  Ha ha ha.. I was not surprised by this at all!  I have no clue how the man managed to be in the delivery room with me and see his 4 children be born because he has the weakest stomach when it comes to blood.  I had to tease him about this though.  What a good daddy for being a good sport and taking Emmi.
These first 2 were taken the very next morning.  I was on a constant vigil, to make sure that she didn't bump them or pick at her lip, as the doctor said that if she did, they lip might not heal straight.
This picture was 2 days later.  The swelling had gone down considerably, but still really owie.
And these last 3 were taken this afternoon, which is a week later.  I think that the doctor did a really good job with the stitches and it is healing nicely.  I am praying that it doesn't scar too bad, or at least lessen with time, but only time will tell.

No comments: