Monday, June 8, 2009

Our Little Road Trip

Last weekend Chad and I were able to leave the kids behind and take a little road trip down to St. George for a few days. My parents and sister Abby took turns keeping the kids (a HUGE thank you to them). I really don't know who had more fun, Chad and I or the kids because my family treats them so good.

I was in heaven just to have a quiet ride, packed with lots of munchies that I don't have to share, (okay with just Chad :), real music on the radio, (not Sponge Bob or Dora), plenty of magazines to look at, and plenty of hours to play my Nintendo DS. On the way we stopped off in our old stomping grounds, Cedar City. It has been 6 years since we have moved away, so a lot has changed and we drove around for a while to reminisce. The highlights were our old apartments, SUU where Chad and I graduated from, and of course Valley View Hospital, where Keaton was born.

The rest of the time we pretty much did whatever we thought like doing. This included a couple movies, some shopping, eating out, swimming at the pool, basically my kind of vacation. However, I could not go to St. George without stopping by and visiting some of my family members that I don't get to see very often. First we stopped in to see my Uncle Scott and Aunt Kristy who have moved down there in the last year. They have a beautiful new home and it really was a treat to sit down and chat with them and catch up with my cute cousins. We also got to see my grandparents on my Dad's side who also live down there. Back when Chad and I lived in Cedar City we got to see them quite often. Our temple was the St. George temple, so at least once a month we would attend the temple, fill up with food at Costco and drop by for a visit. For their age they are doing really well, but it is easy to see that Grandpa isn't getting around as fast as he used to and Grandma isn't cooking near as often as she used to.When Chad and I visit he seems to be grandpa's partner in crime. These two would be in the kitchen sneaking ice cream when grandpa wasn't supposed to be eating it, watching football games, and then both falling asleep in their chairs, snoring. They make quite the pair. This visit there wasn't any ice cream, but we had lots of laughs thanks to them. Here is me and one of my namesakes. (I was named after both of my grandmas). Grandma's given name is Sarah Anne. So, I was named after her, but without the "h". I love this cute little lady and I attribute my freckles, fair skin, the strawberry-blond hair that I was born with, and my feistiness from her. I have always admired her for her good cooking, clean house, and sharp mind and this trip I could've sat and talked with her for hours. All too soon the days flew and it was time to make the drive home. It was such a nice break from the norm and I can't wait for the next one.

1 comment:

Becki said...

Ah, the days of a road trip with your choice of music and not having to share the treats! I miss those days lol.

Sounds like such a nice getaway! It was fun reading about your grandparents and your name sake! Love the pictures!